August 21, 2011

A Children’s Bill of Rights and an except from a UNICEF report

 

Children’s Bill of Rights

 

21-08-11 17-06-43

From Ruby Payne’s book Under-resourced Learners.  How many children in my school do not have these very basic rights?  Let alone all the children in the world who are missing so many of the resources we take for granted in western worlds… 


 

I’m currently preparing for my MGSE clinical praxis exam which consists of planning and implementing an “intervention” for a student with an identified learning need. It means I’m scanning through a lot of books and research.

 

Following on from Mandela’s quote about how a country treats its lowest citizens, I found this UNICEF excerpt apt (as well as beautifully written):

The true measure of a nation’s standing is how well it attends to its children – their health and safety, their material security, their education and socialization, and their sense of being loved, valued, and included in families and societies into which they are born."*

*From “Child Poverty in Perspective: An Overview of Child Well-Being in Rich Countries”. 

 

In the report, overall the US and UK are ranked last (Australia has insufficient data to be ranked).  I skimmed through it, but as is often the case, I don’t have enough time to finish or properly digest their findings.  The amount of information out there on educational issues is absolutely overwhelming and I need to be more selective about what I read. 

 

The last time I was in London, I had to spend a lot of time on the tube looking down at my feet because there were too many billboards and ads.  A stupidly nerdy disclosure but I can’t not read something if I see text.  Last time I was at a footy game with some fellow TFA teachers, one of them remarked that the cardboard hand clapper had a patent pending and found that intriguing.  I made fun of her for reading the little small print on the clapper which had this fact, but it’s because I would do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...